Monday, June 8, 2009

Sec'y of State -Questions 8, 10 and 11

#8 - What organizations are your strongest supporters?

Michelle: I am proud to have repeatedly earned the support of conservative groups like Right to Life of Michigan, the National Rifle Association and the Michigan Chamber of Commerce and others throughout my legislative career.

Cameron: In my House and Senate campaigns I have been endorsed by Right to Life of Michigan, the NRA, Chamber of Commerce, Citizen's for Traditional Values, Michigan Farm Bureau, the Small Business Association of Michigan and others.

Anne: In the past Right to Life and the NRA have not endorsed countywide candidates. I have been endorsed by our area Board of Realtors, Marshall and Battle Creek Chambers of Commerce, the Farm Bureau and the Municipal Clerks Association.

Note: All three candidates have lists of individual endorsements on their websites which I will list in the wrap-up tomorrow.

#10 - What do you want the voter to know about you on a personal level?

Cameron: I'm proud to be the sixth generation of my family to live in southwest Michigan. My wife Helen and I live in the farmhouse built by my great-great grandparents just outside of Sturgis.

My father was an attorney and naval officer in WWII and my mother was an RN. Together, they instilled in me and my siblings a deep love of God and country. My desire to serve comes from these values. You can read much more about Helen and me at my website.

Anne: I have been active in party politics since 1976 and have learned politics from the ground up. I currently serve as the 7th District vice chair and have served as a precinct delegate, state committee member and budget committee member. I was appointed chairwoman of the Michigan Women's Commission by Gov. John Engler and was a presidential appointee to the Selective Service Board. I am a proven vote-getter receiving the most votes in the last 6 presidential elections.

None of this would be possible without the love and support of my husband, Jim. We've been married for 36 years, have two great children and three incredible grandchildren. You can find more on my website.

Michelle: On a personal level I would like people to know that my family keeps me grounded and inspires me to try to do better for our state. When I married my husband, Keith, 14 years ago, I also gained a daughter. My oldest, Jessica, is now 21 and a student at Ferris State University. My middle daughter, Mary is 11 -- going on 16. And next month, we will celebrate the one year anniversary of our trip to Korea to bring our son, Ben, home. He turns two in September. One of the happiest moments of my life was stepping off the plane in Traverse City and welcoming Ben to his new home!

#11 - If you could be Queen, or King, for a Day, what would you do?

Anne: Oh, that's easy. I would clear the calendar and those of my daughter, my daughter-in-law and my grand daughter and we would spend the day at the spa being pampered and entertained beyond our wildest dreams.

On the political or power side of that question, if I were in charge of the world, I would give everyone their birthday as a mandatory holiday.

Cameron: On a political level my observation is that many historians consider George Washington's refusal to serve beyond two terms a true "tipping point" for our young country. There was a real chance at the time that the presidency could have become a monarchy. His foresight and restraint was a true gift. Monarchies have no place in a free society and do not reflect the will of the people, just the will of one person and should not be allowed.

On a personal level that day of time and freedom to do whatever I wanted for one day would be quite a blessing. Elected officials find out very quickly that their lives are no longer their own. On a day free of responsibilities I would spend it at the beach with my wife, Helen, and a good book about Abraham Lincoln.

Michelle: Personally, I would spend the day out on the water - skiing, tubing and relaxing on our boat with my family. All food would be served on the grill (you can't spend time in the kitchen when you're queen for the day!) And we would finish out the day sitting around the bonfire watching the ships out on Lake Michigan - an especially beautiful sight after dark.

Politically, As queen for a day, I would completely overhaul state government to create a business- and family-friendly environment where your basic services are met and government does not intrfere with your right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

And there you have it. I hope you found the questions of interest--I tried to be just a little bit nosy without being obnoxious. I'd like to take a little time to do a wrap up tomorrow. Sleep well.

God bless...............

No comments: