Thursday, September 4, 2008

T. Boone Pickens

I am so tired of hearing this self-appointed savior of the energy world telling us about his PLAN.

Here's a guy who made gazillions of dollars by being at the right place at the right time in the oil patch and now wants to tell the rest of us how to live our lives according to his PLAN. You gotta wonder why Nancy Pelosi bought stock in his new venture when she didn't even know natural gas was a fossil fuel. Wonder if anyone has corrected her yet.

Anyway, I have some problems with cars running on compressed gas--somehow I can't get past the safety thing. T. Boone says it will buy us time to come up with other ideas and energy sources, but I'm not sure they have perfected the tank that will hold it yet. Doesn't it need to be like a thermos because of the extreme cold, etc?

Also, I don't know how much it will cost to retrofit a vehicle to use it and how long it will take to recover the investment. Until I see some facts and figures I think I'll just wait to climb on old T. Boone's bandwagon.

Maybe someone out there has the answers? We'd love to hear them.

See ya tomorrow.

1 comment:

The Wolverine said...

T Boone is only part of the solution. Yes, he has a vested interest but that's how this economic system works. How about a COMPREHENSIVE solution instead of piece mealing everything. We need some leadership to show the way.

For example, have some ultimate goal as Covey says, start with the end in mind. I don't know that that means no Middle East oil but it does mean available substitutes. One I can think of, since I live in southern California, is why doesn't every home out here have solar panels on the roof. How much natural gas or oil used for electricity generation would be saved there. T Boone's wind mills in the plains aren't the only place they should be. Sorry Ted Kennedy but the wind blows (without your additional hot air) off the MA coast. Ought to be wind mills there as well. Any hydrocarbon can be converted to transportation fuel - can anyone say "clean coal". I could go on, but you get the idea.

Oh by the way, the safety issues with compressed natural have been dealt with. The tanks now are not your father's Pinto.