Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Good Old Days

Yes, I'm yearning for the good old days when my kids were in elementary school and junior high when I could just turn them off by sending them to their rooms. That's about how I am feeling about the folks who are talking about lipstick on pigs, the South Carolina "lady" who made a scurrilous remark about Palin and later figured an apology would wipe it out, Obama saying he would give a tax cut to 95% of the populace when at last count I think about 40% don't pay any taxes anyway, Charlie Rangel acting as judge and jury on cases from which he should recuse himself, and all the other holier than thou types who think they can fool all of the people all of the time.

Didn't Lincoln say "you can fool some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time but never all of the people all of the time" or something like that? He also said that God must have loved the common man since he made so many of us. I'm thinking he could say the same thing at the beginning of this century when we still outnumber the elite who think we are much too close to our church and the 2nd amendment, right? And one more quote: Ronald Reagan said something like: it's just amazing how much we can get done if we don't care who gets the credit. Truer words were never (my addition: or hardly ever) spoken.

Do you remember that little pocket size book "Whatever I Needed to Know in Life I Learned in Kindergarten"? (Not exact words, but close.) Anyway, I would like to change that to "whatever I needed to know in life I learned in my 12th grade Government/Econ class." Reason being, as I reminded my classmates at our 60th high school reunion this summer, Mr. Schultz taught us 3 life long lessons: be wary of what you read in the "Reader's Digest" since anytime words can be added or subtracted from the original the meaning of the author will probably be corrupted, beware of the eastern establishment press (and being from rural Minnesota we had no clue--but sure do now,) and last he said that being able to research was more important than learning answers to questions. I'm thinking he was way ahead of his time and would have really enjoyed the internet. Common sense goes a long way.

See ya tomorrow.

No comments: