Friday, April 30, 2010

Tidbits About Schools

First, did you know that the reason we have summer vacations for school kids is NOT because the farmers back in the day needed their big kids to help with the crops?

Rather, it was because in the days before air conditioning the wealthy people wanted to go to the lake or up north during the heat of the summer. It makes sense because now that I think about it, crops are planted in late April and May and are generally not harvested until the October time frame.

Just a little information which proves that you're never too old to learn something new.

One more bit about schools. We're going to have to do a lot more research into this, but it has come to my attention that there s a racket going on. Not all of it, of course, as with anything else it has become an opportunity for a little nefarious activity. Without any hard evidence at this point I'm still going out on a limb and say that I think all professional grant writers should be eliminated.

Shouldn't we know where the money is coming from, if there is an agenda involved with the folks who make them available (and if it's taxpayers we should be told a lot more than we are presently) and just generally level the playing field so schools of all sizes, demographics and economic status have equal opportunity. More to come.

As always, if anyone has information which will help us flesh out this story we'd appreciate it.

Have a good weekend--
God bless...........

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you GREATLY for bringing back these fond memories from my childhood!
I was a 9 year old farm boy back in 1959 when I started cultivating corn and soy beans. I did most of the cultivating on dad's farm through 1968. I was out there most days during the Summer months, June and July, cultivating those +-100 acres of corn and soy beans, times 2 or 3 times a year, using my dad's John Deere "B" with a 2 row cultivator attached, later dad upgraded to an International '706' with a 4-row cultivator.

When not cultivating corn my brothers and I would be helping dad with the baling of hay 3 times during the Summer months. Oats and wheat would be harvested during late Summer and my dad, brothers and I would be baling the straw from the oats for use as fodder for the cows throughout the year.
And of course all this between milking cows every morning and evening. A lot of work that I truly wish more of todays young kids could experience today. As you might guess I will never forget it and am proud to have done it! Thank you again!