Thursday, September 3, 2009

Is Commander in Chief an Oxymoron?

It's 6:30 am and I woke up about an hour ago and can't go back to sleep.

Around eight o'clock last night rec'd a call telling me that 30 year old grandson, the Air Force Doc, is being sent to the Mideast again, this time to Iraq. You'll remember he was in Kuwait for six months last year. You know, for some reason I never really worried about him much more than when he was a teen-ager learning to drive and having a good time--accidents happen.

This time I keep looking back at being proud of him because he is a truly responsible young man, serious and well-intentioned. And maybe that is why I'm having a problem. Remember when I told you he had to go through testing in the centrifuge? And he asked to push it to the point of passing out so he could identify with patients who regain consciousness? I'm also remembering that at 17 he pulled a young woman out of her burning car. He enjoys scuba diving and drives a big 150 Ford truck-red. And he's single. He does what needs to be done and considers the consequences later.

I'm thinking that God created this world and everything was good and that was His plan. And then he gave us free will. And have we ever screwed it up. Maybe the last time Joe left I had confidence that his Commander in Chief was truly involved in the men and women who serve this country. He shed tears. He made quiet visits. He cared.

Things have changed in the intervening months. Now the President has surrounded himself with men and women who use the citizenry, including the military, as pawns to be used in their power plays. And it appears everything is being done to make political points, to curry favor and to control more and more and more of our daily lives. He won. Deal with it.

I'm not sure I'll post this--maybe I just need the blog as therapy again. We'll see tonight. So here I am 15 hours later and breathing a small sigh of relief. Just found out that his entire "wing" (is that what it's called?) is going for four months. This morning I just assumed that it would be a year or longer. Prayers are always appreciated.

God bless............

It is truly heartbreaking to watch what is going on in our country.

No comments: