Sunday, January 17, 2010

Day Trip to Chicago Area

Just returned after logging in 9 1/2 hours in the car to spend 3 1/2 hours with cousins not seen for many years. What a treat and worth every minute of it!

My cousin, Ches, turned 95 today. Both his daughters welcomed us and we had a 2 hour visit with non-stop conversation and catch up time including singing Happy Birthday and having cake. Frankly, I have never considered wanting to reach that age but after today I guess I could handle it. He still drives--takes a driving test yearly--and says when the state of Illinois or his doctor tell him he needs to stop, he will. Wears a hearing aid, no glasses and has all his own teeth. (Since I doubt he is online I think I can safely talk about him in this way.) Just delightful.

After another hour in the car we caught up with another set of cousins whom I haven't seen in years and years. We have exchanged Christmas cards for quite some time without having a clue about what is really going on with them and their families. There is no excuse for this on either part, but geography and time constraints plus personal family priorities can be considered the reasons. However, there is nothing like trying to make up for lost opportunities.

Why am I telling you this? Because there is so much wrong with what is going on in our beloved country it is satisfying to step back and look at what is right with families and their goals. To study the basic goodness of the family units which together are still keeping us together even though there are those who would pull us apart for selfish purposes.

Since I've never been shy about telling folks what activities bring great rewards I will add this one to the list. Reach out and touch someone you haven't seen or talked to in w-a-a-a-y too long. You will be glad you did.

God bless........

No comments: